El Cubano (The Cuban Sandwich)
Since the early 1800’s, the food of choice by the workers in Cuban cigar factories and sugar mills has been the aptly named “Cuban Sandwich.” It also happens to be the food of choice for yours truly while in Cuba. Here’s the recipe!
1. 8-12” slices of Cuban bread cut horizontally and lightly buttered on both sides
2. A coat of yellow mustard spread on both slices
3. Several layers of sliced roasted pork marinated in mojo sauce*
4. Glazed ham piled onto the pork
5. Salami optional
6. Thinly sliced Swiss cheese
7. Dill pickles
*Mojo sauce: salt, black peppercorns, oregano, garlic, olive oil, sour orange juice
Toast the bread until cheese is melted and press sandwich to 1/3 its original size. Cut in diagonal halves before serving.