Related Posts by Tags
Ok, I have already gone into detail about two of the Center for Global Impact’s ministries in Cambodia, byTavi and the Daughter’s Project. Both are fantastic ministries that are making a huge difference in the lives of girls who have been trafficked or who are at risk of being trafficked.
But there is one ministry I have yet to elaborate on. CGI’s newest initiative in Cambodia: the Battambang Culinary Training Center.
As I explain in this episode, the culinary school is all about prevention; keeping at-risk girls from being swept up into the awful world of sex trafficking. It’s exciting to see the joy and life these girls have now that they have real hope for the future!
Now, we obviously had a major language breakdown in the middle of the video, but the girls were having so much fun that I couldn’t help but keep the video as-is. Besides, this is World Next Door Uncut, and when you do things in one take, you sometimes have to be happy with what you get!
Episode 8 Footnotes
- Oops… I called it Episode 7 in the video, but this is Episode 8!
- Ever wonder where Battambang is located? Click here to find out!
- The idea for CGI’s culinary school was started by an Indianapolis chef named Paul Vida. Paul, along with financial help from others, has been instrumental in getting this new program off the ground.
- Apparently I was a real hit with the girls. One of them (jokingly, I think…) even asked me to marry her in front of the class! At one point they asked if they could pray for me. So Kimlon, their teacher and administrator, prayed (with them repeating after her), “Lord, please make Barry live in Cambodia forever…” Haha.
- It took me a while of watching the video to figure out why Kimlon and I weren’t understanding each other, but I think I finally figured it out. She didn’t realize that I was asking something I already knew (i.e. what the school is about), thus the confusion.
- Aaaanyway, I hope you enjoy hearing the laughter of these girls as much as I do. It’s great to know that their future now looks so bright!
- More articles and a photo gallery to come after Christmas. Keep on reading!
- Do you have culinary skills you’d like to contribute? Consider visiting Cambodia yourself to teach a seminar to the girls! Email Chris Alexander, director of CGI, to talk about it more!
- Consider donating to help fund the culinary school. From equipment to food to the teacher’s salary, they have a lot of financial needs to keep the ministry running! Click here for more info on how to give.
- Pray for the girls at CGI’s culinary school. Although they are in good hands, it will take a lot of work and dedication to become full-time chefs!
About the Author: Barry is the founder and director of World Next Door. A storyteller, traveller and giant nerd, he lives to compel suburban Americans to get engaged with social justice and find their place in God's kingdom revolution. His ultimate dream is to adopt a pet monkey named Kevin.