Related Posts by Tags
We’re back with another episode of World Next Door Uncut… this time from New Delhi, India!
In this episode, I take you to a school for a community of impoverished Muslim Gypsies. The school was started by Deshpande, a young man on staff with Truthseekers International. You can read more about the school in my most recent photo gallery.
We are once again broadcasting in glorious high definition! Just change the little “360p” button under the video to “720p,” hit the “full screen” button, and you’ll be able to see my individual hair follicles! Actually, wait. That’s kind of gross. Maybe you should keep it in standard definition after all…
Enjoy! And don’t forget to check out the next steps to see how a small donation from you can make a world of difference for these kids!
Episode 6 Footnotes
- I got hit with a sinus infection on day two. Weird. Would have expected something a lot more exotic…
- Muslims (and Christians for that matter) are often discriminated against in India, although this usually happens in rural or impoverished areas.
- You can hear a train rolling by while I’m speaking. The tents of the gypsy community go right up to the tracks.
- “Namaste” is a standard greeting in Hindi. The phrase I butchered in the video was “Apka nam kya hey?” which means “What is your name?” You can’t really hear her reply in the video, but her name is “Chinki.”
- Deshpande could run the school as is for as little as $5000 a year. That’s just $417 a month! It’s amazing to think how little it would take to give these kids a future. But as he mentions in the video, he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to raise that much money. Would you consider getting involved financially? See the Next Steps below for more information.
- You can be a financial sponsor of Deshpande and his school right this minute. Every dollar he gets above and beyond $5000 a year will lead to bigger classrooms, more teachers, better school supplies and possibly even daily meals for the kids. All you have to do is log on to the website for Truthseekers North America and make your contribution. Be sure to add “Deshpande School” to the memo line!
- If you do decide to support Deshpande’s school, let us know with a comment for Deshpande below! You don’t have to say how much you gave, but I will show each comment to Deshpande. I know he’ll be thrilled to have the encouragement!
About the Author: Barry is the founder and Executive Director of World Next Door. A storyteller, traveller and giant nerd, he lives to compel suburban Americans to get engaged with social justice and find their place in God's kingdom revolution. His ultimate dream is to adopt a pet monkey named Kevin.